Moon of Alabama
After for months hyping Ukrainian victories that had never happened ‘western’ headlines now finally acknowledge the real state of the war:
- Ukraine Is in Worse Shape than You Think – Time
- Ukraine suffers on battlefield while pleading for U.S. arms – Washington Post
- Russian Wins in Eastern Ukraine Spark Debate Over Course of War – Bloomberg
- Russia’s ‘cauldron’ tactic may be tipping Donbas battle in its favour – Guardian
- Shrapnel in the forests and shells from the sky: ‘I’ve never seen such hell.’ – New York Times
- Boris Johnson warns Russia is ‘chewing through ground’ in eastern Ukraine as he urges more support for Kyiv forces – Daily Mail
Former Lieutenant Colonel of the U.S. Army Daniel Davis has written some realistic pieces on Ukraine. His latest though are a bit of fantasy. He describes in three parts “How Ukraine Can Drive Russia Out”.
First Ukraine would have to hold onto Donbas and with the help of raids and counterattacks unbalance the Russian forces. It would then perform a delaying retreat under fire to several new defense lines created in its rear. This delay action should allow for time to build a new force of 100,000 new troops in west Ukraine who would be equipped with a huge amount of new ‘western’ systems. It would take twelve to eighteen months to build and train that counterattack force.
Davis knows of course that each of those steps is completely unrealistic. His real advice is to negotiate an end to the war as soon as possible. But the writeup of what would really be necessary for the Ukraine to have at least a chance to win against Russia is helpful as it demonstrates the futility of such an effort.
There is no way for the Ukraine to turn the situation around or to win the war. The Ukrainian government has to give up. To stop the dying and the extensive amount of damage the war causes it must end now. To prolong it by supplying more money and weapons is criminal and should be punished.
Posted by b on May 30, 2022 at 13:27 UTC | Permalink